UIC: Programs and Academic Assessment
Academic Program and Center/Institute Approval
Courses and General Education Approval
Course Request System (CRS)
Log on to CRS
CRS Authorization
Authorized CRS users
CRS Introduction Manual
Course Request Help Topics
CRS Training Materials - July, 2010
Approved Courses and University Catalogs
Important Dates for Program and Course Approval
Academic Program Development Staff
Banner Code Reports and Enterprise Data Warehouse
Related Links

Print View

Course Request Help Topics

Show all

Course Subject/Rubric and Course Number

(page 1 of course request)

Course Subject/Rubric - Instructions

*NOTE: For a new course request, a course subject/rubric must be entered before you can advance to the next page.

Click on the box to bring up the menu of the course subjects that are available to you. Select the desired subject and click again. The system will insert the subject and the corresponding department and college information.

NOTE: You may select only a course subject that is available to you.

All course subjects are reviewed by the UIC Senate. Units interested in creating new course subjects to categorize groups of courses in their unit should contact the Office of Programs and Academic Assessment (OPAA).

Course Number - Instructions

*NOTE: For a new course request, a course number must be entered before you can advance to the next page.
Enter the proposed 3-digit number. This number may be from 001 to 699, without the addition of alpha prefixes or suffixes.

NOTE: If the system will not accept a number that you entered, that number is not available because a course with that number currently exists or has existed within the last six years. A course number cannot be reused within a period of six years (unless an exception is granted). [For information about a possible exception, contact OPAA (3-3463).]

NOTE: In general, the course number X94 is reserved for topics courses. The course number X96 is reserved for independent study courses. The course number 593 is reserved for Independent Research, 595 is reserved for Departmental Seminar, 597 is reserved for Masterís Project Research, 598 is reserved for Master's Thesis Research and 599 is reserved for Doctoral Dissertation Research.

If this course is a zero-level, it will carry administrative credit for purposes of calculating tuition, full- or part-time status and financial aid eligibility. The credit earned in the course will not be included in earned hours, and the course will be graded on a Satisfactory (S*)/Unsatisfactory grade only.
NOTE: Under the new general education guidelines, effective fall 2007, only 100- and 200-level courses will be eligible for general education credit. Once a course is numbered in the 100- or 200-level, the general education checkbox will automatically appear on page two. Based on whether the course fits into one of the General Education Core categories: Analyzing the Natural World, Understanding the Individual and Society, Understanding the Past, Understanding the Creative Arts, Exploring World Cultures, Understanding U.S. Society, you may or may not choose to check the general education option on page two of the course request.

Course Number - Policy

Enter the course number of the proposed course or the proposed new number of the existing course. The course number must be appropriate for the course level. All valid numbers are three digits without the addition of alpha prefixes or suffixes. In general, they should follow a hierarchical scheme with the lower numbers representing lower levels of instruction or difficulty.

The Senate Committee on Educational Policy has endorsed a policy not allowing units to re-use course numbers for a period of 6 years. The six-year time frame begins with the first term the course number is no longer listed in the catalog. The following new course numbering system, also endorsed by the Senate Committee on Educational Policy and the Senate Executive Committee, is presented for your information and guidance as you create and revise courses and academic programs:

001-099: Courses that are remedial, which do not carry academic credit, but that carry administrative credit for purposes of calculating tuition, full- or part-time status, financial aid eligibility, and satisfaction of special program requirements.

100-199: Introductory courses generally considered appropriate for the first-year college student. Courses that are prerequisites to more advanced courses. They do not carry undergraduate advanced-level credit. May or may not carry general education credit. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors may register for them.

200-299: Courses that are intended for sophomores, juniors, and seniors who have completed the 100-level prerequisites. May be introductory courses in a subject that requires 100-level work in other disciplines as prerequisites. May or may not carry general education credit. Freshmen may register for them if they have satisfied the prerequisites through AP courses in high school or through proficiency or placement tests.

300-399: Courses that require 200-level prerequisites or that are of sufficient complexity or difficulty that they require a broader educational background and maturity to perform at optimal levels. In some disciplines sophomores may register for them if they meet the above standards. Generally taken by juniors and seniors who will receive advanced-level undergraduate credit but not graduate credit. All senior seminar or senior theses courses should be included. Would include courses in professional colleges that require junior standing for admission but which are not intended for graduate credit at any level.

400-499: Advanced undergraduate- and graduate-level courses. Students with graduate standing may register for them and receive graduate credit. (Some units may wish to restrict this level to graduate students only.)

500-599: Courses intended exclusively for graduate and post-baccalaureate professional-degree students.

600-level courses accommodate students in special programs.

The Graduate College has reserved the following numbers at the 400 and 500 levels for special purpose courses:
494: Special Topics in [Departmental Name].
593: Independent Research in [Departmental Name].1-8 semester hours. Satisfactory/unsatisfactory grade only. Similar to 596 (Independent Study), but awards a Satisfactory/unsatisfactory rather than normal (standard) grade.
594: Special Topics in [Departmental Name].
595: Departmental Seminar, 1-3 semester hours. S/U grades only.
596: Independent Study, 1-4 semester hours. May be repeated for credit. Students may register for more than one section per term. S/U or letter grades permitted.
597: Project Research, 0-16 semester hours. Intended for use in master's programs that allow or require a project in lieu of a thesis. S/U grades only.
598: Master's Thesis Research, 0-16 semester hours. S/U grades only.
599: PhD Thesis Research, 0-16 semester hours. S/U grades only.
Questions regarding the course numbering system may be directed to the OfPAA at extension 3-3463.


  1. 110: To be used for a new introductory course in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Intended for first-year students.

  2. 400: To be used for a course intended for both graduate and undergraduate enrollment.

  3. 599: To be used for a Ph.D. thesis research course.